Thursday, September 11, 2008

Yes I Love Technoloy.... Not as Much as You, You See

I think that using the wiki in class really helped me understand how I could use it in my classroom. I thought of an idea to use wiki and incorporate it in lessons related to science. I thought that we could go to a near by stream/pond and take pictures with digital cameras of the insects, plants and take samples of the water and take a picture of the sample. Then when we get back into the classroom we can upload our pictures and make a wiki of what is at the pond/stream by our school. This I find easier to do verses chatting on the document, however, I think that it is beneficial to use a a group planning a lesson or using a wiki in a lesson if at different times we are all uploading, creating, and adding to the wiki. Our group during class had a hard time getting synchronized with all of our ideas going different directions with our wiki. In lower grades I think making a community wiki is more realistic and in older grades they can make their own. Something I really like about the wiki is that you can use it with any subject in your class. I thought of something that an older class could do with a wiki that I did on a poster in sixth grade. On a poster we drew and wrote steps of how to do something in 5 sequences or less. I did "How to Hit a Golf Ball," then put the appropriate steps. Now on a wiki they could take pictures of the particular thing they are describing and then put it in sequences on their own personal wiki. I really think this has super potential to make concepts concrete.

No comments: