Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Technology Interview

1. What did you learn from this interview?


I learned that the technology in the classroom has a lot to do with the grants you are able to apply for or write and the socioeconomic status of the area you are in. I was very impressed with the technology in our school and classroom. It was more than I have seen in a school before. They have two computer labs and that are well used. There is time before school and after school that students can use the lab for free time. The teacher can check out the lab for their own use and it is readily available. I really liked having that lab to my disposal. When ever we had to spend more time on a webquest it was there. One thing that I was turned off my this schools outlook towards technology is that the technology specialist said that she felt it was the responsibility to the parent to teach the students to use e-mail. Even thought it is a standard for the district, she just shows the students how to e-mail once and then she is done with that. I know that it is a basic function to technology and students already know how for the most part. It was just her attitude towards the students and technology. I feel that students are more engaged with technology when they use it, verses viewing it. She claims that she does not allow the students to e-mail because she cannot control the content of the e-mails. I thought that was a poor attitude towards embracing technology and hopefully things will change in the future.

2. How will this experience affect you as a teacher?


This experience was definitely eye opening because we were in a high income area and there was a lot of technology in our school. Not to mention just our class, the school had two computer labs. I can picture myself being in a school like this. The teacher was able to have a grant that allowed her to have a smart board, Elmo and projector. She used the technology to help the students connect with any subject and it was very fun for the students to draw on the smart board or have everyone see their work on the Elmo without having to make a transparency. I feel in love with the technology in the school I was at, however, I would have had better placement for the technology that was in the classroom we were in. The teacher was not organized and it was hard to use the technology sometimes because it was not accessible because of clutter. I also would have the smart board in a better place. The teacher did not utilize the space in the classroom because the smart board is ideal for any situation besides sticking something on it like a magnet or post it note. I did a lesson where we had the students write on post it notes and there was only a 2 foot by 2 foot area on the whiteboard to put all of the post it notes. I would have put the smart board over five feet and it would utilize the space better. I really liked that the teacher incorporated the students with technology by asking them to draw graphs on the smart board or having the students use it for presentations.


3. How did this experience change your thinking about the use of technology?


This experience was eye opening for me because it made me want the technology that was in that classroom very badly. I found that I would really like to have that type of situation in my school with having two computer labs and the technology in my classroom. The students are getting computers in a couple weeks that are just for their class. The possibilities are endless with technology because of all the freedom it brings. If your class does not have manipulative blocks for math you can find one that is online and have your students do it on a computer. I also noticed that the students were very engaged with the activities that had to do with technology. I felt like as I was teaching the students were more engaged with what they were learning because it was something that they could relate to. I also learned that when your lesson calls for technology you need to have the students fully involved because they are so far a head of you. Direct instructing students with technology is a big mistake because they will quickly disengage and will not learn as much if they are discovering and doing it on their own. I really would like to learn more about grants so I can have technology readily accessible in my classroom and I learned a lot of valuable things about it in my field experience.

No comments: