Friday, December 12, 2008

Distance Learning

I am a huge fan of distance learning, I was involved with a program and Provo High School where I earned most of my associates degree. First of all, I liked distance learning because I only had to pay for the required text for the class and there were no tuition fees. I saved thousands of dollars doing distance learning and I would recommend it to anyone that is ready. I was in a small classroom where there were usually only two or three of us. We had microphones on every desk that you could turn on and talk to the teacher. The teacher had a microphone on their shirt and there was a camera on us and the teacher. There were students in my class from all over Utah, there were about three hundred in my math 1010 class. We submitted our assignments by faxing or on Black Board. Personally, I liked this because I learned a lot of invaluable lessons as I began to learn how to be a college student. One of the only draw backs I see to distance learning is that the student needs to be self regulated. If the student cannot budget their time wisely or find the motivation to do assignments, they will sink. In a classroom setting I see distance learning as a great networking device. The students can be connected to hundreds or thousands of other students at once. I would like to see distance learning available in the elementary level because there are students who are not able to make it to the classroom. If a student is sick or if they are very ill for a long period of time they do not need to fall behind. Often times if there was a game or match that I had to play in, I could record the class and watch it at a later time. A student could still keep up with the class and not fall behind. Students that are ill feel the need to still be on the same page as their peers and this would be a great way to stay connected, going at the speed they are able and feeling inclusion. Distance learning is also a great way for accelerated students who are board in class. If and when they find their niche that they are excited and engaged about there should be distance learning to help with the void felt in the regular education classroom. This would also help the teacher find ways to challenge the student and will be invaluable for the student as they increase their knowledge. I feel that distance learning is a great tool and should be recognized in the education system as a benefit instead of a burden. Also, if a student is thriving under distance learning, they will gain a sense of independence and communication which will help students through out their lives.

No comments: