Thursday, December 11, 2008

Lessons Learned

I learned a lot from the videos and articles that I read concerning the needs of this generation of learners. I thought that the article named Millenials was one of the most informative for me. I liked hearing the words of the students wanting a smaller devices and more digital world in education to get them ready for the real world. I liked the Motorola sponsored video with the interviews of students, when I was hearing them, I thought that I need to step up my knowledge of technology. My main concern for students in the education system now is that there needs to be a consistent use of more technology in every classroom. In order to help the students we teach, they need to have a better basis of technology when they get into the real world. I think that we need to be willing to accept that students we teach know more about technology than we do. However, we need to have the resources available for our students and watching the video with the school that used the technology to monitor heart rates of cheerleaders made that important for me. I like that the school took the technology of heart monitoring a step further by having the algebra II students to analyze the data.
Something that I think would be the best for technology in schools is the virtual lab. Not only are gas prices in factor, students who are house bound or sick can use the same resources as students who are physically at the school. Also, with the virtual lab, there can be wireless updates and the programs can be continually updated with out having to buy a new device every couple of years. This was a lesson learned because I need to be more open to technology that I can't physically see. Behind the scenes is where I feel technology will thrive as updates are made and ever changing. I think that it is important to involve students in technology and not have them be the viewers of technology. While technology is ever changing, so are the students we are going to be teaching. This should not be a factor to not use technology it should be a reason to let it thrive in our classroom.

No comments: